What did you learn during this challenge, and how will you be incorporating that into your everyday life after the challenge is over?
1. I have learned just what it’s taking to burn calories and lose some fat. After two years I feel like I finally have a handle on how my body reacts to certain foods (and booze). Short of testing the science, I’m pretty confident I can get the scale to move by limiting booze, and calorie/fructose dense foods. No surprise there, but now it’s concrete and I’m not doing any guesswork or playing plausible deniability of what that extra few glasses of wine and norcal margs are doing to me. I am definitely keeping this consciousness with me past the end of the challenge.
2. I have also learned how important sleep is to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I have always been able to get to sleep relatively easily, especially after starting crossfit. My body would tell me to go to bed, but I didn’t always listen. Now, having to get at least 7.5 hours of sleep in order to get points has forced us to turn off the tv, turn off our brains and get some sleep. I think this has been a huge factor in recovery and weight loss.
- I also think that if I didn’t get as much sleep as I have been getting that I probably would have compromised my immune system and gotten sick during this challenge. I am working hard to get all my WODs and activities in and am definitely feeling the strain. I am fighting a hip injury and have had to modify WODs and still work my ass off. I think that in future I will not worry about points and just take some rest days. I know this isn’t the fault of anyone else but me and my competitive drive, just sayin.
3. I have learned the importance of teamwork. I am so lucky to have Ion who is supportive of me and who bolsters my confidence. It also makes me accountable. I love setting a good example of how to eat clean and live clean and how it makes for a constructive life. I have also enjoyed having the facebook group, which allows us to share our logs and support each other. I hope we have some stragglers after the challenge who continue to log and be paleo-present!
4. Lastly, I have learned that leveling up extends to life outside of the gym. Not just getting enough sleep so that we’re better crossfit beasts. I’ve been trying to organize my life at home, simple things like keeping clothes and shoes off the floor, to reading more. Making myself more conscious of how the little things affect my life. Getting out of the city on the weekends, riding bikes, trying to save money so we can go on vacations! All of these things are life lessons that I will definitely carry forward after the challenge is over.